Scholastica Baths

Ephesus Scholastica Baths in Ephesus Ancient City

Scholastica Baths

One of the largest bath of Ephesus is Scholastica Baths  which was discovered during excavation in 1926. It locates on the northern side of Kuretes Street. The Scholastica was restored by a Christian lady named Scholastica in the 4th century, then baths were named after this lady but it was built in 1st century A.D.

Temple of Hadrian is also standing in this bath complex. There are two entrances, one of was from the Curetes Street. Towards Celcus Library it was located on the Curetes Street which leads to the back of the Greate Theatre and there is an entrance to the Scholastica Bath from this street.

The bath house has a plan of typical Roman bath architecture. In on of the niches on the walls there is a statue of Scholastica. Scholastica Baths would had underfloor heating system. There were rooms which had cold section (frigidarium) on the ground floor of the baths. There were two other rooms consisting of warm section (tepidarium) with a warm pool and hot section (caldarium) with a hot pool. Baked clay pipes under ground or inside the walls were carrying both hot and cold water as well as the steam to these sections.

The distinguished families of the city would use as bath complex where they washed and cleaned themselves, then talked about daily matters during their massage services. In ancient time Baths were one of the part of daily life. In the Roman period as a tradition particularly, the noble and the rich with their servants would usually use the baths in groups.

Scholastica Baths Picture Gallery